This recipe for scalloped potatoes or potatoes au gratin is foolproof. One of the things I like most about it is that it can be prepared in advance, the day before, and keep refrigerated (since the potatoes are “pre baked” they will not change color) and everyone loves will love it.
They combine perfectly with almost any preparation for its mild flavor and texture. If you want to make these potatoes from one day to the next it is important to take them out of the refrigerator a few hours before, so that they gain room temperature, sthat way the temperature change will not break the baking dish in the oven.
Do you want to prepare the most delicious scalloped potatoes?
This recipe is very easy to prepare and also the result is incredibly good, in addition to the delicious flavor and the crispy texture the gratin crust of cheese at the top gives it.
These scalloped potatoes are a simplified recipe from the French version, called daulphinoise potatoes, the biggest difference is in the type of cheese. In this case we will use reggianito or parmesan and in the traditional recipe gruyere and sometimes the cream is mixed with some white wine and chopped onions.
Scalloped potatoes are perfect accompaniement as a side dish for meat, fish or poultry. My favorite is easy baked salmon as a main dish.
- 1 lb potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz Parmesan or reggianito cheese finely grated
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Wash, peel and cut the potatoes into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- In a pot with plenty of cold water submerge the potatoes and cook them over high heat until they begin to boil. Carefully remove the potatoes from the water. Reserve.
- Preheat the oven to 430ªF.
- Season the cream with salt and pepper, add two-thirds of the cheese and mix well. Reserve.
- In the baking dish put a layer of potatoes, then add a little of the cream mixture on top. We continue interspersing potatoes and cream until we finish with everything.
- Move the container a little to remove air bubbles that may remain and sprinkle with the leftover cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until au gratin, serve immediately and enjoy!