Parmesan scallops is one of the most delicious appetizers, perfect for any occasion.
This recipe of parmesan scallops is the “younger brothers” of machas a la parmesana, a delicious preparation believed to have been created at the San Marco restaurant in the city of Viña del Mar, Chile, and are prepared exactly in the same way. The problem with the machas is that we can only find them fresh in their “habitat” wich is quite small, some coasts of Chile and Peru.
Scallops can be found almost everywhere in the world, although their name can vary from country to country, being mostly known as vieras, if you are not sure what they are, they are the ones with shells that are the symbol of Shell gasoline, and they are also the symbol of the Camino de Santiago in Spain, since they are very abundant in Galicia, where the road ends, and they were used as a souvenir that proved the road had been finished.
This recipe is quite simple, and there are not many things that could go wrong, the only important thing is that the oven is preheated when you start cooking the parmesan scallops , so they will be gratined without being overcooked.
You can use frozen scallops as long as they are completely thed before using them. If you do not have the shells you can prepare them in a small dish well buttered and with a little cream.
NOTE: If you do not like coral or roe (the red part) you can take it out and prepare the recipe in exactly the same way.
- 12 large scallops in their shells
- 4 oz Parmesan cheese shreddded
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 oz salted butter
- 1 garlic clove peeled and chopped
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese shredded optional
- 2 oz cream cheese optional
- lemon to serve
- Carefully open the shells, remove the scallops and wash the shells and scallops well. In a baking dish, put 12 shells and 1 scallop in each. Reserve.
- Preheat the oven to 400ªF.
- In a small fry pan melt the butter with the garlic, add the white wine and cream cheese. Cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add to the pan the rest of the ingredients, that is: cheeses, salt and white pepper. Distribute this mixture in the reserved oysters.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until bubbly and cheese au gratin.
- Serve immediately with lemon pieces and enjoy!