I am fascinated by ceviche in all its varieties and by far my favorite is this salmon ceviche. The key to making it really delicious is, as with all ceviche, preparing it with very fresh fish.
How to make ceviche? This recipe uses fish, shellfish (like de shrimp ceviche) or a combination of both chopped and seasoned whit lemon and other ingredientes, such as onion, green paprika, cilantro and chili. It is a very versatile dish, so it is easy to find ceviche of different fish, such as sea bass, tuna, hake or pippin. In shellfish: abalones, shrimp, lobter, octopus, to name a few. The recipe for all of them is basically the same, only the main ingredient changes.
In this case we will prepare one of salmon. Salmon es a fish that is farmed in the south of Chile in it ´s Cohoy Atlantic variant, and it´s internationally recognized for it´s great quality and exquisite flavor, which has led to be one of the favorites when it comes to making a salmon ceviche.
Where does the ceviche come from? Although Peru has made it popular internationally and is part of its gastronomic heritage, this recipe is prepared in different countries on the South American Pacific coast.
Beyond the version of its origin, I am interested in highlighting the versatility of the dish, that can be served both as an appetizer to share (along with some toasts) as a starter or main course on hot days.
It´s really IMPORTANT buy fresh fish, since raw fish can contain parasites that are harmful to health, anisakis being one of the best know and responsible for many of food allergies. To prevent it, is necessary to acquire clean fish without guts. If these hace not been removedal the time of purchase, it should be done as soon as possible whenyou get home. If you don´t eat the fish emmediatly, you should freeze the fish at -18ºC ( 0ºF) for about five days, a process by which the parasite is eliminated. This process is also importantwhen preparing a tartare.
Taking this precations you will not have problems and you wil be able to enjoy a simple, exquisite and nutritious dish whenever you want. Let´s go to the recipe!
- 1 pound very fresh salmon chopped into half inch cubes approx
- juice of 4 lemons or enough to cover the fish
- 1 purple onion peeled and cut into feathers as thin as possible
- 1 chili (green) seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup coriander just the leaves washed, dried and chopped
- oil to taste
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Optional: green pepper without veins seeds and finely diced.
- Wash the fish very well with cold water, cut it into half inch pieces and put them in a bowl (ideally glass) and add enough lemon juice to make it submerged. We leave it stored in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
- We put the fish in a larger dish, add the rest of the ingredients, that is: onion, paprika, coriander, salt, pepper, oil, chili and a little more lemon juice. We stir very well, and correct the seasoning. Keep refrigerated until serving time and enjoy!
Important: if you are pregnant it is not advisable to consume raw fish